Is this a Lakota sentence? ognayehci- vs uNgnayehci From: "Bruce Ingham" <Bi1 at soas.ac.uk>

Bi1 at soas.ac.uk Bi1 at soas.ac.uk
Thu Sep 8 10:14:44 UTC 2005

I was intersted to hear that one of the correspondents interpreted ogluwas^te, which I took as 'good fortune', as uNgluwas^te 'we make something good, improve something'.  It is true that uN- and o- do sound quite similar and if this was from a tape, one could easily be the same as the other.  However it just seems strange that the sentence should be the exclusive 'we' ie 'you and I' rather than the inclusive uN....pi ' I and other people'.  It seems to make less sense, but as someone said, we should know the context to make sense of it.
While we are on the subject of o- and uN- I am often confused by ognayeh^ci which I take to mean 'closely, accurately' and uNgnayeh^ci which I take to mean 'perhaps'.  Are these really two separate words or are they the same word spelt differently with a wide spread of meanings.  Can any Lakotas or Dakotas out there help?
Yours
Bruce