UNICODE UPDATTING

Jimm GoodTracks goodtracks at gbronline.com
Tue Sep 13 13:27:28 UTC 2005

----- Original Message -----
From: "Constantine Chmielnicki" <wablenica at mail.ru>
To: <siouan at lists.colorado.edu>
Sent: Monday, September 12, 2005 11:54 PM
Subject: Re: UNICODE UPDATTING

> Hello Jimm,
>
> Was that the problem of the incompatible information carrier (diskette
> etc.) or the weird character coding?

Constantine!
Thanks for your excellent reply.  Perhaps, I wasn't clear to say the the
problem has been resolved several years ago.  I did a conversion as you
mentioned which brought everything up to date.  So there is no longer a
problem.  And I have been able to continue with the reformatting of the
dictionary.

I just wondered if the new government emphasis to change to a set standard
is presenting a problem for others in general.

Presently, I use a font which is standard and has the accents and a few
additional characters.  I have John's Siouan fonts, viz., SsDo SIL DoulosL
installed.  I use two characters from this set on formal papers -- the
glottal stop (0216 stroke) and the "inge" (0223).  However, I usually do not
use them in transmittion, except under a PDF Adobe format, as they will
alter on the PC of the receiver, most of which do not have the Siouan font.

Irregardless, your information is worth printing out and keeping for further
need and reference.
Jimm

As I changed PCs from the earlier