Quappa

Michael McCafferty mmccaffe at indiana.edu
Thu Sep 15 11:37:30 UTC 2005

Alan,

Here are a couple more (usual) English transcriptions of "Ouiatanon""

Quaxtana 1749-1755 (Lewis Evans)

Quaaghtena (date unknown) (appears in Hiram Beckwith's work--1st president of
the Illinois Historical Society)

Incidentally, there are three forms of this toponym/ethnonym on record for
Miami-Illinois: /waayaahtanonki/, /waawiaahtanonki/ and /wiyaahtanonki/. Note
also that the term is generic in meaning ('at the whirlpool person') that it
appears elsewhere, historically, in reference to other people.

Also, Dave's comment about the f is right on target. Preaspiration was heard
by Europeans who occasionally attempted to transcribe it--with a variety of
symbols.

I've never really followed the transmississipian movements of the Wea after
they left the Indiana area. The tribe, as a whole, established two villages on
the lower Wabash, at Terre Haute, between 1786-1791. Another group, led by
Noel Dagenais, a native speaker of Miami-Illinois and a metis, lived on Big
Raccoon Creek, a Wabash tributary somewhat near Terre Haute, until 1846, then
went to Kansas.

Michael