Quappa

Michael McCafferty mmccaffe at indiana.edu
Thu Sep 15 14:43:06 UTC 2005

There actually seems to have been an intimate connection between Miami-
Illinois speakers and Dhegiha speakers. For example, it is thought the
Michigamea were originally a Dhegiha-speaking group that come under the roof
of the Illinois subtribes in late prehistory. I think John Koontz, in fact,
mentions that at his website. In the 1700s Illinois residency and hunting
extended far down the western side of the Mississippi valley and contact with
Dhegiha speakers is a given. Perhaps it should be said in this connection that
the Wea, of all the Miami subtribes, were the most friendly with the Illinois
historically.