Wea

Michael McCafferty mmccaffe at indiana.edu
Thu Sep 15 14:53:29 UTC 2005

Quoting David Costa <pankihtamwa at earthlink.net>:

> The phonemic form of the tribe name is /waayaahtanwa/; /waawiyahtaanwi/ is
> 'eddy'; /waayaahtanonki/ (the locative of the first term) was the name of
> Ouiatenon. I don't think phonemic */wiyaahtanonki/ existed

It was given to Dunn by Gabriel Godfroy, an authoritative source, in the form
"wiatanongi" (leaving out accent marks and a part of my memory. I think you
have it in your databank.)

Then, perhaps that "i" was a slip on Dunn's part.

At the same time, for the French to have created "Ouia-" in "Ouiatanon" from
Miami-Illinois /waayaah-/ is quite unusual. Hmmm.

.

> I have an old French form for the word 'Ouaouiatanoukak'. I don't remember
> where I got it, probably from McCafferty.

Yup. It's in Thwaites, JR 58:23. Ainsi soit-il. It looks rather Ojibweyan.