Quappa

Rankin, Robert L rankin at ku.edu
Thu Sep 15 21:24:23 UTC 2005

Sorry, I've been out of town.

The "F" in Quapaw even turns up sporadically in semi-speakers of the '60's and '70's.  It's a mishearing of [x] or an inability to replacate it on the part of monolingual Europeans.

Similar change takes place in English, after all, where the /x/ of 'enough, rough, tough', etc. was replaced with [f], often said to be of Northumbrian origin (and, no, it doesn't matter to me where the English sound change really originated).

Bob