Fwd:...(Re: Quappa)

Michael McCafferty mmccaffe at indiana.edu
Sun Sep 25 17:52:14 UTC 2005

Quoting Koontz John E <John.Koontz at colorado.edu>:

> On Fri, 23 Sep 2005 mmccaffe at indiana.edu wrote:
> > John, Marquette locates "AKANSEA" opposite the mouth of the Arkansas
> River.
> >
> > Then, to the west going up the Arkansas--but not necessarily on the river
> > itself-- in order, are the following. I've arranged them as they appear on
> the map:
> >
> > ATOTCHASi                                      METCHiGAMEA
> >
> >           MATORA                                            |  |
> >                 AKOROA
> >                       PAPiKAHA                              |  |
> >                                8MAM8ETA
> >                                         TANiK8A ------------|  | AKANSEA
> >

> >                           PANIASSA         AiAiCHi
>
> Oh, of course.  This is the list Bob Rankin discusses in identifying the
> De Soto Expedition's Pakaha/Capaka as Papikaha and thus probably as
> Tunica.

Do you have the citation for Bob's work?

I'll have to go back and look at the LaSalle 1686 list, because I
> don't recall them mentioning any of these places, which I think are mostly
> identified as Tunican.  And this makes it seem that there was only one
> Akansea village in 1673.

Delanglez did a very good treatment of the La Salle expedition of 1682.
Delanglez went off the track in importants respects with the Marquette
material (errors later corrected by Campeau), but he did fine and important
work on La Salle.