Fw: paduka identity

Alan H. Hartley ahartley at d.umn.edu
Thu Sep 29 15:42:57 UTC 2005

Mark-Awakuni Swetland wrote:

> Perhaps someone can assist this fellow in his inquiry about the
> Patoka/Paduca

The name originally and most commonly meant the Plains Apaches, and
later (19c.) occasionally the Comanches. (Hdbk. N. Amer. Indians XIII.
(2001) 903).

The English name is < Fr Padouca (cf. quot. 1718), prob. < a Siouan
(presumably Dhegiha) name; cf. Osage hpatoNkka, Omaha Ponca ppatoNkka.
(based on e-mail from Robt. Rankin & John Koontz, March 1999, and on F.
W. HODGE Hdbk. Amer. Indians I. (1907) 328 9).

"Pawnee" was often used in the sense of an Indian captured by other
Indians and sold into slavery among white settlers, but I haven't seen
Paduka used that way.

Alan Hartley