paduka identity

Michael McCafferty mmccaffe at indiana.edu
Thu Sep 29 15:53:06 UTC 2005

There were people with this name as a last name at Kaskaskia, e.g., <Maria
Pad8ca>, a person on one of the 18th-century Detroit Jesuit missionary Pierre
Potier's rosters of people living at Detroit whose name was <Patoka>, and,
according to a hear-say I'm still tracking, there was a Wabash Valley Kickapoo
leader known by this name. One or none of these may be connected to "Patoka
River," a relatively good sized eastern tributary of the southern Wabash, the
name for which appears to be unattested in the French sources.

I imagine the "slave" folk definition came from the notion that Comanches were
sometimes traded into the Miami-Illinois slave network. But I don't know.

Michael