interrogative -indefinites

rwd0002 at unt.edu rwd0002 at unt.edu
Fri Sep 30 13:45:18 UTC 2005

Quoting shokooh Ingham <shokoohbanou at yahoo.co.uk>:

> Dear Siouanists
> Since Willem deReuse's interesting paper at our last
> conference about morphological resemblances between
> Siouan and Athabaskan, I'm becoming interested in
> resemblances between Lakota and Cree.  Obviously (I
> suppose) any resemblances there are would be the
> result of contact or linguistic diffusion and not
> cognates.  One feature that I note is that both have,
> though not to the same extent, the phenomenon of
> interrogative-indefinites. (...)>

Thank you Bruce. As everyone realizes, I am sure, my Siouan-Athabascan paper
was intended to be tongue-in-cheek, to show the ways in which superficial
comparison can always yield some intriguing results.

As far as interrogative-indefinites are concerned, I think you will find the
phenomenon quite common cross-linguistically.  Apache, and I think most if not
all Athabascan languages, also have interrogative-indefinites. :}

Willem