interrogative -indefinites

lcumberl at indiana.edu lcumberl at indiana.edu
Fri Sep 30 20:01:16 UTC 2005

While we're on the subject, I found and interesting contrast between Lakota and
Assiniboine with these words.  Lakota makes a realized/potential distinction,
thus:'taku/ta'kul, as in:

'taku icu he 'what did he take?' vs. ta'kul icukta he 'what will he take'

Assiniboine doesn't have that distinction but makes a distinction between
non-specific-indefinite and specific-indefinite, thus: 'taku/ta'kux, as in

'taku eyaku he 'what did he take?'  vs. ta'kux 'eyaku he 'what, specifically,
did he take?'

and

'taku 'eyakukta he' what will he take' and ta'kux eyakukta he 'what,
specifically, will he take?'

There are also the pairs, tuwe/tuwex and tukte/tuktex, but not tona: *tonax

Linda