Kilatika

Koontz John E John.Koontz at colorado.edu
Sat Apr 8 19:39:20 UTC 2006

On Wed, 5 Apr 2006, Koontz John E wrote:

> On Wed, 5 Apr 2006 mmccaffe at indiana.edu wrote:
> > A subtribe of the Algonquian-speaking Miami [is identified as]
> > <Kilatika> and <Kiratika> ...
> >
> > This ethnonym has no apparent etymology in Miami-Illinois. I was
> > wondering if by chance it might have an apparent etymology in an Ohio
> > valley or Mississippian Siouan language.
>
> Something like ki + ra + tika, where ki is from the suus, possessive,
> reflexive and reciprocal set (neglecting vowel syncopation and aspiration
> or preaspiration, etc., on the stop), ra is a perhaps the 'by mouth'
> instrumental, and tika is the root.

Some possibilities:

IO rac^hege 'to tell old news', wac^hege 'polish by rubbing, make new'
(-c^hege (root) with ra- 'by mouth', and wa 'by pushing')

This might suggest something like 'they chatter about themselves'.
However, note that I am just using IO as a convenient source of forcms.  I
believe the reflexive or reciprocal "ki (khi-) would interact irregularly
with the ra- instrumental, maybe khikra-?  This is kind of a weakly
documented area in IO and Winnebago.

IO raj^e 'call by name'

An additional element *-ka would be required with this.  I'm not sure that
works out.

IO j^i'ge 'wipe clean, stroke across'

(If this is related to the first root, then, maybe it is actually c^ege,
not c^hege)

I'll look further, but this may be some help.