Siouan-Catawban reduplication - a bunch of questions...

Lameen Souag lameen at gmail.com
Tue Apr 18 21:23:10 UTC 2006

Hi everybody,

I'm currently working on an essay on reduplication in Siouan-Catawban, a
topic that I gather has been discussed here at least twice previously, from
a historical-typological perspective.  I was wondering if anyone could tell
me:
* Does anyone know of any examples of Tutelo reduplication other than the
three given by Horatio Hale?
* Are there any handy summaries of reduplication in Dhegiha, other than
Boas' for Ponca?
* Does reduplication ever occur in Hidatsa?
* If Randolph Graczyk is on this list, I was wondering whether he could
maybe upload a copy of his paper somewhere? It would be great to be able to
cite a better source on Crow reduplication than the rather unhelpfully brief
two I've found so far.
* Does Blair Rudes's grammar of Catawba have a working title by which I can
cite it? (or is it published yet?  I'm referring to
http://listserv.linguistlist.org/cgi-bin/wa?A2=ind0405&L=SIOUAN&P=R3513&I=-3
)

Incidentally, my conclusion so far (perhaps unsurprisingly) is that
reduplication in a pluractional sense is unquestionably reconstructible for
Proto-Siouan-Catawban, and in an adjectival inanimate plural sense is
probably reconstructible for Proto-Siouan, despite having a much more
limited distribution (only Crow, Ohio Valley, and Dakotan so far.)  If
anyone's interested, I'd be happy to send a copy after I finish it next
week.

Thanks for your help,
Lameen Souag