Siouan-Catawban reduplication - a bunch of questions...

Koontz John E John.Koontz at colorado.edu
Wed Apr 26 20:39:16 UTC 2006

On Tue, 18 Apr 2006, Lameen Souag wrote:
> * Are there any handy summaries of reduplication in Dhegiha, other than
> Boas' for Ponca?

I think the places to look are:

- Carolyn Quintero's Osage Grammar, of course, as Bob indicated.
- LaFlesche's Osage dictionary (which requires a bit of a user's guide to
render into Osage from its OPage form)
- Very limited list in my very crude OP grammar of some years back.
- Rather better list, I think, in the (?) Hahn Ponca ms.
- Bob's Kansa and Quapaw Lexicons (ciruclate in draft).
- Dorsey's OP texts.

As it happens, I am about to make a copy of my grammar for someone, and I
have an extra copy of Hahn.

> * Does reduplication ever occur in Hidatsa?

Indudubitably.  As opposed to indubdubitably, or so I believe.  I think it
would be safe to say that reduplication occurs in all Siouan languages (or
maybe all languages?), though the form, extent of productivity, and
function varies.

For Winnebago and IO, I think there are remarks in Lipkind and maybe
Whitman, but I would go to Jimm Good Tracks dictionary for the latter,
which may still be available from the CU Linguistics Department.

> Incidentally, my conclusion so far (perhaps unsurprisingly) is that
> reduplication in a pluractional sense is unquestionably reconstructible for
> Proto-Siouan-Catawban, and in an adjectival inanimate plural sense is
> probably reconstructible for Proto-Siouan, despite having a much more
> limited distribution (only Crow, Ohio Valley, and Dakotan so far.)  If
> anyone's interested, I'd be happy to send a copy after I finish it next
> week.

Oops.  I see I am late!

I'm not sure what an adjectival inanimate plural sense is.  Something like
'some quality here and there' or 'instances of a quality'?