Blackfoot Wh-words enquiry

shokooh Ingham shokoohbanou at yahoo.co.uk
Fri Apr 28 13:34:01 UTC 2006

Dear Heiki
As you seem to know about Blackfoot, do you know what
their Wh-words are.  I've got them for Cree, Cheyenne
and Ojibway, but Blackfoot would be an interesting
addition to the list.  I'm looking at a
Siouan-Algonquian comparison.  The Lakota words are
called T-words because they begin with t---and are as
follows:

tokhel 					'how, somehow'
tona 			 'how many, some'
taku				 'what, something"
tokha 				'what happened, something happened'
tuktel 				'where, somewhere'
tokhiya 			'where to, somewhere'
tohan/l	 'when, sometime'
tuwe/a			 'who, someone'
tukte 'which'

Could you tell me the Blackfoot equivalents?

Bruce
- Heike Bödeker <heike.boedeker at netcologne.de> wrote:

> Dear Corey,
>
> > One language that does not seem to have any type
> of reduplication
> > is Blackfoot.  This is probably due to the fact
> that Blackfoot has
> > a small phoneme inventory and fairly long
> morphemes.  Reduplication
> > would just create confusion.
>
> I'm not so sure about some 3, 4, 5 phonemes less
> than in some
> "vanillish" Algonquian lg. really making such a big
> difference, and,
> of course, one always might consider the option of
> only partial
> reduplication. But maybe that's the general
> linguistic dilemma of
> attempting at a posteriori explanations.
>
> I'm also not really sure about BF morphemes as a
> rule being so
> terribly long. We also in other Algonquian lgs. at
> times have
> seemingly long morphemes, which probably consist
> several we simply
> can't analyze. Alas, concering the state of BF
> lexicography, I must
> say that reading text with the dictionaries by
> Uhlenbeck/Van Gulik
> and Frantz/Russell isn't exactly fun.
>
> > siksi   +  ka
> > 'black' +  'foot'
>
> Actually "black, dark" is sik- only, with connective
> -i- and an
> inserted euphonic -s-.
>
> All the best,
>
> Heike

To help you stay safe and secure online, we've
developed the all new Yahoo! Security Centre. http://uk.security.yahoo.com