'snake' and 'god' terms.

Rankin, Robert L rankin at ku.edu
Sun Aug 13 16:59:22 UTC 2006

Sorry, my slip.  The final vowel of the Proto-Siouan reconstruction for 'medicine' should be nasal.  Everything is the same as far as we know between the two except for nasality and probably length on the 1st syllable vowel.  We have not found viable cognates in Crow, Hidatsa or Mandan for these lexemes, but that doesn't mean they don't exist.  The state of lexicography for Mandan and Hidatsa especially still leaves a lot to be desired.  Nasality would be lost in CR and HI so [w] and [m] would collapse together.  Velar stops should remain, as should vowel length.  Contributions from these languages would be most welcome.

Bob