Language contact

Justin McBride jmcbride at kawnation.com
Mon Aug 21 19:00:07 UTC 2006

I may be mistaken, but I think one of the two forms of 'eight' is probably a
borrowing in both Osage and Kansa.  I believe the popular thinking is that
the original source is Potawatomi, but I've never heard that particular
word.  The loans are hkietóopa (OS) and kki(y)adóba (KS), which vary with
the historically Dhegiha-derived form ppeyá(a)bliN in KS, and possibly
*hpeyáabriN in OS, but I don't know if the latter form is attested.

Wow, that sounds pretty vague!  Hope it helps, though...

-Justin