Language contact

David Costa pankihtamwa at earthlink.net
Mon Aug 21 19:32:02 UTC 2006

It can't be Potawatomi, since Potawatomi 'eight' is /shwadso/ (which has a
clear Algonquian etymology), which doesn't look anything like /hkietóopa/ or
/kki(y)adóba/. I'm not aware of any Algonquian nos. that look like those.

I think you're thinking of Miami-Illinois, which (as Bob discovered 20 years
ago) borrowed its word for 'eight' from Tutelo.

Dave