Names for the French

Wallace Chafe chafe at linguistics.ucsb.edu
Tue Aug 22 17:05:21 UTC 2006

There was a somewhat parallel development in Caddo, where the word for
Frenchman is Ka:nush, which is evidently the last two syllables of
Mexicanos, perhaps borrowed from Tonkawa with a regular Caddo
palatalization of s after u. It seems to have started as a word for all
Europeans, and then later on to be limited to the French, when Mexicans
came to be called Ispayun.
--Wally