'snake' and 'god' terms.

David Kaufman dvklinguist2003 at yahoo.com
Thu Aug 24 18:18:31 UTC 2006

> it is also possible that it reflects retention of an old Siouan-Catawba root. The Catawba root for 'root' is -ti:. It is a dependent root (meaning it never occurs by itself), but is found in such constructions as ?yapti: 'tree root' and, more important to the current discussion, wiNti: 'medicinal root, medicine' as a compound with the older word for 'medicine', which itself is not found uncompounded in the Catawba data, wiN. >

  Wow, interesting!  The Biloxi words for 'root' are apparently tudi and udi (not sure if there's some semantic difference between the two), which I suppose could also possibly incorporate that -ti- root (although I'm not sure why t would change to d).  But 'tixi' meaning 'sacred (medicinal/curing) root' sounds very convincing and plausible to me, even more than the 'tea' interpretation!

  Dave