squashes and spoons

Rankin, Robert L rankin at ku.edu
Tue Aug 29 22:10:30 UTC 2006

> Does anyone have a guess for the time-depth of Proto-Siouan?

Hollow and Parks' glottochronology points to between 3000 and 4000 years not counting Catawba.  Ted Grimm's was in that ballpark.  But at this point I'd refer you to my article in the volume on the history of maize that I reffed. the other day in a note.  It's about all these cultigens, time depth and contact.  I don't have time to recapitulate any more of it here, but comments would be welcome.  I used "vegeochronogy" and arrived at analogous dates.