squash

Rankin, Robert L rankin at ku.edu
Tue Aug 29 22:03:39 UTC 2006

For a long time it was thought gourds originated in Meso America, but more recent discoveries place them in much of N. America as well.  I don't know about the sub-arctic, but I wouldn't say proto-Algonquian was really sub-arctic.  In any event anything that can be used as an implement was pretty widely traded.  At the very least, gourds go back 4K years with squashes and pumpkins (which ARE from Central America) somewhat more recent.

Incorporated and compounded constructions do tend to maintain conservative semantics, while their independent counterparts often undergo more semantic change.  One of the standard examples is found in Benveniste's discussion of Indo-European terms for 'family', 'clan' and 'tribe'.  The cognate sets in the different subgroups often vary quite a lot in meaning, but if you look at the compound terms for the patriarch who presided over each of the societal divisions, the meanings are much more uniform, and presumably represent the original meanings of the nouns.