Names for the French

shokooh Ingham shokoohbanou at yahoo.co.uk
Wed Aug 23 11:04:11 UTC 2006

I was once told by Jan Ullrich that the word for
Frenchman in Lakota was was^icu-h^ca ie 'white man par
excellence', which would make sense if they were the
first white men the Dakotans met, others such as the
British and Americans having specific names.
Incidentally I know that s^agdas^a or s^aglas^a
'British/English' is said to come from les Anglais,
but a Lakota lady in Standing Rock once referred to
the Mets or Crees who live in Standing Rock also as
s^aglas^a.  She said that to her the name seemed to
imply scruffy or ragged ie unlike the Lakotas, not
very politically correct no doubt, but it is
interesting to note how people interpret the names
which they use.

Bruuce--- Wallace Chafe <chafe at linguistics.ucsb.edu>