Saskatoon berries

REGINA PUSTET pustetrm at yahoo.com
Mon Aug 28 13:48:51 UTC 2006

There we go. Thanks, John. I had only asked my speakers so far, but since they're more like into King Soopers blueberries they didn't know the word.

  Regina

Koontz John E <John.Koontz at colorado.edu> wrote:
  On Sat, 26 Aug 2006, REGINA PUSTET wrote:
> And me, I'm picking Saskatoon berries in CO and UT. They're seriously
> yummy and they're a classical Indian food. So far, I couldn't figure out
> the word for those berries in Lakota tho.

Gilmore (1919/1977), Useds of Plants by teh Indians of the Missouri
River Region, p. 35, says "wipazuka". Buechel gives wi'pazukaN and
wi'pazokaN.

Amelanchier spp. has a wide variety of popular names, so it can be very
difficult to look up. June berry, service berry, sarvis berry, and
shadblow come to mind.

The OP form (from Gilmore) is "zhoN h.uda," i.e., z^aN(aN)' xu(u)'de.