Attn Rory

Rankin, Robert L rankin at ku.edu
Wed Aug 30 01:56:57 UTC 2006

Well, Dorsey has quite a  bit of variability recorded in his Kaw and Osage notes.  It's possible globa and loba could have existed side by side just as glo and lo both meaning 'thunder' occur in his dictionary MS.

I also noticed typing my notebooks today that kki(y)ado'ba, as given to me by Mrs. Rowe, would have 3rd syllable accent -- something that shouldn't be possible.  So maybe it's two phonological words: kia and doba.  Numerals are prone to have this pattern if you write the compound ones as single words.  Numbers in the teens, etc. have 3rd or 4th syll. accent if you write them alimi'xci, alinoNba', aliya'abliN, etc.