2007 Siouan Conference (Passports for Canada)

Koontz John E John.Koontz at colorado.edu
Fri Dec 1 20:50:05 UTC 2006

For those interested, especially new applicants:

See http://travel.state.gov/passport/passport_1738.html

Passport requirements for Canada:

http://travel.state.gov/travel/cbpmc/cbpmc_2223.html

Definite for flight, advised for everything.  Not required for everything
til 1/1/08.  The real problem is not getting out, but getting back in.

Normal turnaround for receipt of a new passport, under routine service
regular application fees only) is:

http://travel.state.gov/passport/get/first/first_831.html
http://travel.state.gov/passport/get/processing/processing_1740.html

> After you apply - You will receive your passport: Ordinarily, within 6
> weeks.  However, processing times can vary depending on workload and
> occasional unforeseen circumstances such as natural disasters.  During
> busier times, such as the summer travel season, we encourage customers
> to expedite their applications if traveling in less than 8 weeks.

So, to be safe, you should apply 3 months before you need the passport, or
by March 2007.  You can expedite processing for an additional $60.

Fees:

http://travel.state.gov/passport/get/fees/fees_837.html

> Age 16 and older: The passport application fee is $67. The execution fee
> is $30. The total is $97 .

Requirements:

You need two current photos, a photo ID and an embossed birth certificate.
You have to make an appointment at an authorized location and apply in
person.