Hocank texts and recordings by Amelia Susman (1943)

Rankin, Robert L rankin at ku.edu
Sun Dec 24 21:05:19 UTC 2006

I would try the American Philosophical Society's library in Philadelphia, PA first.  I know that at least some of her papers went there.  I think Kathy Shea got her Catawba papers from there.  Try looking under her name, and, perhaps also in the Franz Boas Collection of the APS.  Her married name was Amelia Susman Schultz.

The Milwaukee Public Museum archives mention that they have a large collection of Native American materials and recordings also.  Some of these must relate to the Ho cank, I should think.  Even if they don't have Susman's materials, they're worth checking.  I couldn't find an on-line catalog, but there may be one.

Let us know how you make out.

Best wishes,

Bob