DPs and Demonstratives

John Boyle jpboyle at uchicago.edu
Mon Feb 20 18:55:55 UTC 2006

Hi All,

I am just looking at noun phrases that have both a determiner and a
demonstrative.  I was wondering if anyone else has looked at these besides
Randy and Catherine (who should of course feel obligated to reply to this e-mail
anyway).  In Missouri Valley the structure is:

Demonstrative Noun-Determiner

I think this is true for other Siouan languages as well, correct? Has anyone
thought about how to analyze these constructions (specifically in an X’bar
framework)?  Are they DPs that have a demonstrative phrase (DemP) in SPEC and
an NP complement (as in 1)?

1) [[Dem P [NP ]]DP]

	    DP
            / !
  DemP   D’
	    /  !
         NP  D

This would make it all left branching, which is what we would assume, right?

Or are they DemPs that take a DP Complement that then take an NP complement
(as in 2)?

2 [Dem P [[NP DP]]]

	  DemP
              !
          Dem’
            /  !
     Dem  DP
	        !
                D’
               / !
            NP D

This structure would be both right branching and left branching (possible but
not as pretty).  Is there any evidence for either analysis?

Thanks

John Boyle