Implied vs literal meaning

"Alfred W. Tüting" ti at fa-kuan.muc.de
Mon Feb 20 18:49:28 UTC 2006

"Lakota wiyan kin nagi ksapa ye.
Niye on etanyan wici caka caya.
Oyate kin han yan waci niyape."

"Lakota women think carefully.
Our children are raised by you.
The people rely on you."

 > Yes i sort of agree with Alfred
Lakhota wiNyaN kiN nag^i ksapa ye makes sense as
translated.
The second line seems to be
niye uN etaNhaN wichichag^a ye
probably "because of you, or for your sake or through
you they (the people) grow or increase".  wichicag^a
is from ichag^a "to grow" and usually wichicag^a or
wichoicag^a means "the generations follow each other".
Oyate kinhan (yan) wachiNniyape or more probably
wachiNiyaNpe <<

Thanks Bruce, this makes a lot of sense (icha'g^A - to spring up. grow,
as grass, a child etc.; to become, as a man B.). I obviously was led
astray by the translation 'our children': wishful thinking!
Yet, there's no way to 'wici caka caya' ;((
"Make them (the people) grow/increase through you!"

"the people rely on you" is as translated from wachiNyaN "to rely on"
Oyate kiNhaNyaN seems to be a slip for Oyate kiNhaN
"the people" or perhaps the syllable -yaN came on in
singing it ie as an extra meaningless syllable <<

Yes, wachiN'yaN -> wachiNniyaN pi ye -> wachiNniyaN pe
depend upon (you) makes sense.
How would you translate *kinhaN' here? And the 'pi ye -> pe'?? if/when?

Best regards

Alfred