DPs and Demonstratives

John Boyle jpboyle at uchicago.edu
Mon Feb 20 20:45:02 UTC 2006

Thanks Bryan.  I’m not really sure that demonstrative is the right name for these
things to either. Given what Jan said about Lakota being able to have both:

1) Demonstrative Noun Determiner

2) Noun Demonstrative Determiner

we may want to assume your right and the structure is:

	 DP
	   !
	   D’
	 /   !
       NP   D
       / !
 DEM  N’
           !

Where DEM can either proceed or follow N.  Thus, it would c-command N but
not D. Would this give us a better analysis?  Jan, what is the difference between
the word orders in (1) and (2)?

Thanks,

John Boyle