DPs and Demonstratives

Rankin, Robert L rankin at ku.edu
Tue Feb 21 14:59:00 UTC 2006

Dhegiha languages also permit both patterns:

DEM N - DET             and
N DEM-DET

In the second instance the determiner bonds to the demonstrative as a single phonological word.  Ye-akha, $e-akha, etc. so I've always asssumed they are rather tightly bound syntactically.  The preposed DEMs are definitely distinct words.

Bob