DPs and Demonstratives

Mirzayan Armik mirzayan at cslr.Colorado.EDU
Fri Feb 24 21:40:44 UTC 2006

David, thanks for the clarification.

I should have stated in my email that the content had nothing to
contribute directly to the Dhegiha discussion! I do realize that the
article system is different from Lakhota and that the dem-det order is
impossible in Lakhota. I only thought the information might illuminate a
way of looking at the Dhegiha pitch-accent in the same types of phrases,
though maybe others have already done so.

Regarding the Lakhota dem "he", I also wonder if it behaves differently. I
have only analyzed one token in the same (conversational) data with the N
det-dem order where the dem is "he", but unfortunately it's overlapped
speech and I have a hard time hearing it well. I'll look for more in the
other parts of the data to see if I can indentify any other (clearer)
ones.

    Armik