Question about Some Siouan cooking habits.

Tom Leonard tmleonard at cox.net
Sat Feb 11 00:02:31 UTC 2006

Bob,

I have seen the same thing among Ponca people, but it was many years ago. I
can't recall the name of the inner bark off hand. As I recall, that had a
great many uses (including this horrid tasting tea that could whip any cold
known to man). There was also inner bark from dogwood tree (also having
medicinal qualities) and a few others. If they were boiling big tubs of meat
they would often throw long twists of that bark in there.

Grandma use to cook water lilly roots when she could get them. She claimed
that they had medicinal qualities, but I never ran that one down. They were
a big favorite, but hard to get (the northern variety being preferred).

There were all kinds of other things that old Ponca folks used to call "real
Indian food", but it might be too long to go into here. I have a list of
Ponca names for some of them if that would help you. Unfortunately, not many
cook that way anymore.

Also, I was somewhat amazed to find how many of the names Gilmore had
collected (Uses of Plants by the Indians of the Missouri River Region)
were/are still retained.

Tom Leonard