Fw: occurrence of phonemes in texts of world languages

goodtracks at peoplepc.com goodtracks at peoplepc.com
Sat Jan 14 21:06:32 UTC 2006

----- Original Message -----
From: Yuri Tambovtsev
To: goodtracks at peoplepc.com
Sent: Saturday, January 14, 2006 7:55 AM
Subject: occurrence of phonemes in texts of world languages

Dear Jim, I compute the frequency of occurrence of
phonemes in world languages. The frequency of occurrence is computed on the material of texts and dictionaries. I feed a text in my computer and then I compute how many times this or that sound occurs. I have computed some Finno-Ugric, Turkic, Paleo-Asiatic, Australian aboriginal, Polinesian, etc.languages.  Also some American Indian languages: Totonac, Nahuatl,
Sayula populuca, Pocomchi, Capanahua, and 20 more American Indian languages. What Amerrican Indian or any other language do you  study? Were the frequencies of its phonemes in texts computed? Could we compute some of the texts in your language? I can do it if you send me a text on paper or in the electronic form, but as a simple -txt or -doc file.
After that it is interesting to compare, for instance, the
occurrence of labial consonants in Totonac (7.38%) and
Pocomchi (10.83%). Or Nahuatl (11.73%) and Sayula populuca (12.34%). Or Guarani (12.92%) and Sweet Grass Cree (15.15%).Etc, etc. The values can also show the typology and the closeness. If you know some linguist who may be intestested in co-operating with me on the problem, then please, forward
my message to this scholar with my new correct address
yutamb at mail.ru Do not send me web-sites since my computer system cannot open web-sites. I cannot open attachments as well, only normal messages, like this one. Looking forward to hearing from you soon to yutamb at mail.ru
Yours sincerely Yuri Tambovtsev, Novosibirsk Pedagog.
University, Novosibirsk, Russia