concept of zero

"Alfred W. Tüting" ti at fa-kuan.muc.de
Wed Jan 18 09:08:04 UTC 2006

 >  I was curious if anyone is aware of a Lakota term for the numeric
concept
of "0" (zero). Most Lakota/English dictionaries I have read give numeric
terms beginning with "1" (one), and do not have "0" (zero) listed. <<

I really would have wondered had I retrieved the concept of zero in
Native American languages (at least of northern America). Even the great
and highly sophisticated Chinese culture never ever knew it, be it in
mathematical terms or display of numbers. Their word expressing 'zero',
though, is quite interesting ;-)

If you like to, you might have a look at my pages (Quileute School Project):

http://www.fa-kuan.muc.de/school/DIGITS.HTML

Just my two cents

Alfred