O/P term for one thousand

Tom Leonard tmleonard at cox.net
Wed Jan 18 22:02:25 UTC 2006

The modern day word for "1000" in Ponca is ku'ge. Ku'ge is also the word for "trunk" or "box". I have had several Ponca elders tell me that ku'ge for "1000" derived from the time treaty payments arrived as 1000 gold coins in a box. Interestingly, I once had an elderly Osage woman tell me that "ku'ge" for "trunk" derived from the verb "k'u" - to give away.....that they used to give away when the trunks of money arrived. Perhaps they are related?

Also, that we should find similar etymologies for "1000" amidst surrounding tribes doesn't surprise me. I am reminded of the Ponca word for "25 cents". The modern day word for "25 cents" is mi'ka tha'wa or mi'ka itha'wa. This is said to be abbreviated from "mi'ka ha itha'wa" - to count a raccoon hide, or what a raccoon hide is worth. If I am not mistaken, do we not find similar etymology for "25 cents" among other Siouan languages?

Tom Leonard