O/P term for one thousand

David Costa pankihtamwa at earthlink.net
Wed Jan 18 23:06:47 UTC 2006

And also, the Miami word for 'beaver' also means 'dollar'. Any Siouan
languages have that?

Also, that we should find similar etymologies for "1000" amidst surrounding
tribes doesn't surprise me. I am reminded of the Ponca word for "25 cents".
The modern day word for "25 cents" is mi'ka tha'wa or mi'ka itha'wa. This is
said to be abbreviated from "mi'ka ha itha'wa" - to count a raccoon hide, or
what a raccoon hide is worth. If I am not mistaken, do we not find similar
etymology for "25 cents" among other Siouan languages?