O/P term for one thousand

Tom Leonard tmleonard at cox.net
Wed Jan 18 23:45:04 UTC 2006

Re: O/P term for one thousand>>And also, the Miami word for 'beaver' also means 'dollar'. Any Siouan languages have that?

The Ponca word for dollar is "wi bthu'ga" (one whole) or maN'ze ska wi bthu'ga (white metal one whole).

      Also, that we should find similar etymologies for "1000" amidst surrounding tribes doesn't surprise me. I am reminded of the Ponca word for "25 cents". The modern day word for "25 cents" is mi'ka tha'wa or mi'ka itha'wa. This is said to be abbreviated from "mi'ka ha itha'wa" - to count a raccoon hide, or what a raccoon hide is worth. If I am not mistaken, do we not find similar etymology for "25 cents" among other Siouan languages?