Level 2 Lakota language textbook

Jan F. Ullrich jfu at centrum.cz
Thu Jan 19 18:33:05 UTC 2006

On behalf of the Lakota Language Consortium (LLC), I am pleased to announce
the release of the Lakhotiya Woglaka Po! Speak Lakota! Level 2 textbook.

The Level 2 textbook provides young learners of the language a sequenced
follow up to the successful Level 1 textbook - which focused on
contextualizing vocabulary through images, oral activities, and TPR methods.

The Level 2 textbook shifts the focus to reading and writing Lakota and to
reinforcing vocabulary and sentence structures.

The textbooks are now in use by over twenty schools systems across North and
South Dakota.  Both of the textbooks are valuable for adult self-study at
the beginner level, as well.

Numerous native consultants and reviewers from all the Lakota reservations
assisted in developing these textbooks. Due in large part to this broad
community support, the LLC was recently awarded the Ken Hale Prize by SSILA.
The recognition of our work to revitalize the Lakota language means a great
deal to the communities we serve, the teachers, and the numerous volunteers
working to create a new generation of proficient Lakota speakers.

The LLC focuses on producing effective language materials as well as on
initiating and supporting various language immersion activities that help
Native communities in their struggle to rebuild their languages. You can
help! Purchases of these materials directly aid these efforts.

Please, visit us at: www.lakhota.org or www.languagepress.com

Jan F. Ullrich
Lakota Language Consortium
www.lakhota.org