Most Frequently Used Verbs in OP

Tom Leonard tmleonard at cox.net
Fri Jan 20 15:13:41 UTC 2006

 > I could probably come up with a fairly good list off the top of my head
for
> a start.  Or, we've been working on a dictionary project at UNL, pulling
> out all the words in the first several stories in Dorsey.  I think we have
> over four hundred words by now.  I could go through that and pull out
> anything that I would subjectively consider a common verb.  Would that be
> useful?  And if so, would you want stative verbs as well as active ones?
>
> Rory

Thank you, Rory. I have Dorsey's slip files on film, as well as vocabulary
from Frieda Hahn and others (not to mention my own files).  I am curious to
see what the most commonly used verbs are exactly, not only for inclusion in
a teaching grammar, but also for consideration in anthropological/linguistic
sense. I think it would be interesting to note.

Is any one aware of such a study being conducted?

Regarding the teaching grammar, the most frequently used verbs would be
obvious candidates to include in the work. I'm certainly a newbie to this
and I'm wondering if there are any guidelines/recommendations (for which
verbs to include) from teachers involved with teaching Indigenous
languages - or if anyone, in fact, has listed the most frequently used verbs
in OP.