Most Frequently Used Verbs in OP

Koontz John E John.Koontz at colorado.edu
Fri Jan 27 01:42:54 UTC 2006

On Fri, 20 Jan 2006, Tom Leonard wrote:
> Thank you, Rory. I have Dorsey's slip files on film, as well as vocabulary
> from Frieda Hahn and others (not to mention my own files).  I am curious to
> see what the most commonly used verbs are exactly, not only for inclusion in
> a teaching grammar, but also for consideration in anthropological/linguistic
> sense. I think it would be interesting to note.

It occurs to me that in the context of Siouan grammars one might also need
to consider not just verb stems, but certain kinds of derivation.   For
example, some of the instrumentals are very frequent and essentially
productive.  Because of their frequency and productivity they are
functionally (and practically) equivalent to some kinds of frequent verb
in, say, English.