my two cents

Koontz John E John.Koontz at colorado.edu
Fri Jan 27 01:49:31 UTC 2006

On Thu, 19 Jan 2006, Anthony Grant wrote:
> Doug has observed to me that at least some money terms in Pawnee are
> straight from English /tupits/ for 50 cents, for instance.

This is a bit surprising, perhaps an early case of rampant inflation - I
need a "smiley" here by way of apology to Tony - because in English -
American English, rather - it's a quarter, as in "two bits, four bits, six
bits, a dollar."  I agree with Bob that Rory's explanation of bdhuga
'whole' = 'dollar' in these terms is pretty convincing.