Lakota short sentence? ["mini"-Lakhota course!]

Clive Bloomfield cbloom at ozemail.com.au
Sat Jul 1 18:18:49 UTC 2006

Hello Alfred, Perhaps we have different editions of Buechel-Manhart :
Mine is the 2002 Ed. , and on Page 20, (mid-page; LH column) has :
"anapsa /anáps^a/ (va) : to break into a laugh after it has been
suppressed -- anaps^aps^a (vn redup) : to bubble or boil up, as
bubbles on foul water when disturbed." I wonder if any of the experts
here might have any further info. on this verb? Tanyan awanic'iglakin
kta wachin, toks^a akhe, Clive.   P.S. : I wish someone would do a
Ph.D. level study of the Lakhota style of Emil Afraid-Of-Hawk's
Lakhota novella : "S^unka Wan Wakhan Agli K'un He" [The Bringer of
the Mystery Dog]. The sheer beauty & graceful sweep of his
"cinematic" sentences continues to amaze & delight me. As a
translator, IMVHO, he leaves Anne Nolan Clark's charming but slight
children's tale far behind him, and creates an original work of art!