Emil Afraid-Of-Hawk's style (A Personal Impression)

Clive Bloomfield cbloom at ozemail.com.au
Sun Jul 2 13:07:08 UTC 2006

Dear Alfred chiye na khola, You may well be right - I think I am
getting an inkling of what you are alluding to there. The use of
language itself, the Lakhota structures employed seem to me such a
highly sophisticated, "virtuoso" performance in the language, as it
were, by someone who understands Lakhota at such a profound "gut"
level, that one feels it could only emanate from the pen of a native,
(& we even have his name), and yet ..... there does seem to be a
certain dissonance between the cultural context & background of a
Lakhota native speaker of the 1940's, and the "mental world" of that
text. One realizes he is translating a European text, but that seems,
to me at any rate, quite inadequate to account for what I am
convinced is the disparity of "calibre" & quality between the
Original (which IS worthy, but fairly banal & unpretentious) & the
Version (which belongs in a different literary class altogether, in
my view.) It is really quite an enigma to me. He must have had a
marvellously original mind, I fancy! Being a pretty useful
interpreter, by all accounts, he must have had more than a little
linguistic insight, (not to mention talent.) But sometimes as we all
know, brilliance can seem sometimes, inexplicably, to emerge from
"nowhere" - this world is "passing strange" at times, is it not?.
Perhaps I AM overstating my case, but it is a pretty difficult one to
substantiate without something like a statistical (word/phrase/
construction-frequency-based) stylistic analysis of the entire text,
and a detailed comparison of it with other modern Lakhota prose
compositions. That class of text does not exactly seem to be a huge
field though, does it? Until I know better, I will continue studying
& learning from Mr. Emil Afraid-Of-Hawk's beautiful, layered
sentences with excited fascination! It's a bit like trying to "prove"
that an impressionist painting (say), or a violin partita is a
masterpiece : One either "feels" it, or don't bother! Enthusiasm is
great, but I would like to be able to back up intuitions with hard
facts!        Toksha akhe wanunkichiyankin kte lo, Clive.