Emil Afraid-Of-Hawk's style (A Personal Impression)

A.W. Tüting ti at fa-kuan.muc.de
Mon Jul 3 09:12:24 UTC 2006

Clive,

with regard to those copies pointed to by you, not mentioning Mr. Emil
Afraid-Of-Hawk seems to be  no wonder, since the booklets are in
English only, aren't they?
(Ruth Beebe Hill's copy might be of interest, though. BTW, I'd be
interested to learn the scholars opinion on Hill's work "Hanta Yo!",
which appears to be 'put on the index' by Native people. I for one had
liked it a lot, many (30?)  years back, re-kindling my interest in this
powerful language.)

"No man is an island, entire of itself;..." is a wonderful and
venerable old text of deepest truth, expressing ideas very familiar to
Native American people - e.g. Mitakuye oyas'in (but also to Far Eastern
philosophy, e.g. "Pick up a blade of grass and all the worlds will come
along with it!"
http://www.fa-kuan.de/PREFACE.HTML, http://www.fa-kuan.de/VORWORT.HTML)

I'm most grateful for Tom mentioning this text, that, IMHO, could as
well have been composed in, say, Lakota originally.
Clive misun, maybe this example can help me explain what I actually
wanted to say with my (ill-fitting) term of 'European-style' which
wasn't in any case meant derogatory with regard to Native people.
IMVHO, Lakota unfolds its genuine power in sermon/speech-like texts
like these rather than in epic narration - always reminding me of
Ancient Greek, Latin etc., the latter having profoundly shaped e.g.
German (but even Hungarian!) syntax in the sense of abominable
'Schachtelsatzbildung', a feature since long left behind in English.
Also remember the famous and powerful speech "I have a dream..." which
could be appropriately given in Lakota as well. (Cf. Lojban .i mi
pacna... http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lojban).

Toksa ake

Alfred le miye lo

Alfred