OP dancing

Tom Leonard tmleonard at cox.net
Wed Jul 5 16:40:12 UTC 2006

I agree with this. The c is most defnitely aspirated, wac^Hi ga'xe , as Rory
pointed out.

In my experience this verb goes both ways - some times it's treated as a
unit and other times you'll hear it conjugated (example: wac^hi pa'xe tah
miN'ke - I'm going to dance). You'll also hear things like "wac^Hi ga'xe ama
agu di a?" - where are they dancing?". We also hear the verb "noN'te" for
"dance", as in "noN'te wa'the" or  "aN'noNte aNga'ti" - we are here dancing.
Apologies for the poor phonetics.

The "copulatory F*** verb"?! Is that an actual linguistic term? Never heard
it said that way before; that's marvelous! And, it's also true. However,
it's more likely to take the form "wa'tsi", sounding very much like the
Osage word for "dance" - a favorite old tease between the Osage and Ponca.
Jim Duncan used to ALWAYS get in trouble when he'd visit Ponca Powwow and
say "awa'tsi kom'bra" - my aunt would teasingly slap him and say
"hey.....behave yourself around here". Then they'd all bust out laughing.

Depending upon the context, sometimes it's just safer to use "noN'te".