More on wachi

Tom Leonard tmleonard at cox.net
Wed Jul 5 22:39:08 UTC 2006

> Lots of laughs in Osage with wacu'e 'bread' vs. wachu'e "copulate". Nobody
> wants to ask for the bread at dinner.:-)
>
> Carolyn

Um...yeah, Carolyn. I had a first hand experience with that one during the
time we were having Osage class at your home in Tulsa. Smart boy here
decided to ask for the bread in Osage - at the urging of my uncle - from an
elderly Osage lady (who shall remain nameless) sitting across from us at a
peyote meeting noon meal. As her eyes grew to the size of quarters and Jim
Duncan dropped his fork, my uncle said "idadoN egi'she?" (what did you
say?). I simply said: I dunno, I just asked for the bread. That got quite a
laugh out of the old lady. She said "Oh sonny, it's good you're trying to
learn." Later as we drove home I asked my uncle: "What the heck was that all
about?" After explaining that I didn't say it correctly, he said: "You know
nephew, I haven't seen a look like that in my sister's eyes in a loooong
time!".

Oh, the joys of learning a new language!