More on wachi

A.W. Tüting ti at fa-kuan.muc.de
Thu Jul 6 18:02:48 UTC 2006

Am 06.07.2006 um 16:47 schrieb Rory M Larson:

> Alfred wrote:
>> Interestingly, there's also chegnákekitxuN and chegnákitxuN as a verb
> with the meaning 'to put on/wear a breechcloth' which seems to be
> related with OP z^e atigthoN etc., doesn't it?
>
> (...)
>
> I wonder if La. txuN is cognate to OP ttaN, which means to 'have',
> especially in a characteristic way.  Could that word parse as:
>
>   che   gna(ke) a       ki        txuN
>   penis fit     against one's-own have/keep
>   thing against which to keep one's penis in place
>
> ?
>
> Rory

I wonder what is the word to parse as 'against' here. Is it 'a'? (in
OP?)

Could it be broken down to:
chegnáke ki(N) txuN
penis-put/lay-it the have/possess-it
breechcloth-the have/possess-it
one has/wears it as a breechcloth
wearing a breechcloth

As for the -ki-, another approach doesn't seem to make much sense:
kitxuN(yaN) -  in an increasing manner, growing,
where the ki- affix seems to be the one of kiág^uyapi - to turn to
bread, i.e. denoting a process of alteration/transformation/change

Alfred