s^aaN for Sioux

Alan H. Hartley ahartley at d.umn.edu
Thu Jul 6 21:44:45 UTC 2006

Bruce Ingham wrote:

> I once asked an elderly Ponca man about the similarity
> between the word
> s^aN
> and s^aaN or s^aN ama, the name give to the Sioux.
>

> Is this word connected to the word Saone applied to
> some Lakota bands.  I have never quite understood the
> explanations of this term. Can anyone help

Riggs (Dakota English Dict. (1890) 91) etymologizes Dakota čaŋo´na
(c^aNo'na), a subgroup of the Yanktonais, as 'wood hitters'. (I don't
know the Net Siouan for eng, hence the N. If Riggs' aŋ is more properly
rendered now as ą (a-hook; Latin small letter A with ogonek), then aN is
the correct Net Siouan.)

Alan