OP dancing

Rankin, Robert L rankin at ku.edu
Thu Jul 6 23:08:33 UTC 2006

> OP wac^hi gaghe 'to dance' seems likely to involve some sort of avoidance
strategy.  I think gaghe here (gaaghe, I suppose) is not strictly
causative, but more like the use of gaghe as 'to behave as, to emulate, to
play the, to magically become', so something like 'to behave in a wac^hi
fashion'.

"Make like".

> To address a point raised by Bob Rankin, I don't think causative gaghe is
particularly common, except in the sense above, in Omaha-Ponca.  The
=dhe/=khidhe/=kkidhe/=gidhe causative seems to be the productive one.
Osage (and I gather Kaw) do regularly use gaghe in a more causative
fashion, judging from Carolyn's data.

> That does seem to fit with my impressions as well, but I'd be interested to hear if gaghe is gaining currency among modern speakers at the expence of -the.

Certainly was in Kansa.  If /gaaghe/ means 'make like (a)' in OP, it generally translates 'make' in just about any AUX usage except "to have as a" kinship term.

I'll have to check to see how I recorded Dorsey's /kkiaghe/.  He often failed to distinguish aspirates and geminates in Kaw and I'll have to find my file box.